Friday, February 4, 2011

another commode story

   Those who know me will remember that some of my most difficult times in Africa have to do with the use of African toilets.  This a first and happened to my colleague.  This ladies room in the lab was bright and clean but the toilet is in a small room with no lights.   The ladies room is therefore locked with a key from the inside so the door to the toilet area can be left open.  Well my colleague locked the door with the key from the inside and completed her business, washed her hands and went to unlock the door to leave.  At this moment I was waiting patiently at the door for my turn.   For some reason the key no longer would open the door.  So my friend was stuck on the inside with the key and I was on the outside with no key.  At this point a lab employee came along to the rescue. She knew that there was just enough room at the bottom of the door to slip the key beneath it.  So that is what my colleague did and our savior unlocked the door to let my colleague  out and me in.  At this point I decided that I did not need to lock the door as I could pee in the dark.
     In spite of the lock issue, this is the best toilet that I have found in the facility.  It was clean, had a toilet seat and even toilet paper!
    I am definitely not accustomed to working every day. I have been so tired the last few days that I went right to sleep shortly after dinner, no blogs and very little e-mail.  But I am up at 4 AM getting ready for a nearby game drive and to update my blog.

No comments: